On Thursday 10th April, we hosted a day long Twitter session on the hot topic of direct entry into the police at officer level .
SOME INTERESTING POINTS FROM THE DEBATE -
- The majority of comments were critical of direct entry
- Concern re Lack of experience in basic policing issues
- Transferability of skills
- Will it create a further glass ceiling at a time when opportunities are rare?
- Is the salary enough to attract the best?
- How will operational awareness and competency be tested?
- Some say just give it a chance, see what happens
- Concern that it may lead to positive discrimination
- Differences between forces some for it some very against
- Could bring in fresh approaches
- Need to have been street operational at some stage
- Public views are mixed
- Potential 2 tier Superintendents.
We’d to thank everyone who participated , we had over 3million interactions. With a lot of interested parties getting involved. You can read more about this debate by clicking here.